***If you are just looking to join Striders without taking part in the course please join here rather than taking a space on the course ***
Fitter, Faster, Further
Our course is for runners who are new to Striders, currently running at least 5k distance (preferably within 35 minutes or faster) who want to meet other runners of their level and pick up some ideas and tips to improve their running. It’s also a gentle introduction to all the different aspects of the club. We help take the worry out of getting started by offering:
• Organised runs led by a group of experienced runners
• Different runs to suit different paces
• Activity and technical based speed/hill/track sessions
• A safe and sociable environment to run around our great city & countryside
• Additional weekend social runs, including a parkrun breakfast
• All this plus Striders Club membership and England Athletics membership until March 2022, all for just £42.
Our next course starts in June 2021 and will run on Tuesdays and Thursdays, for a total of 3 weeks, from 7 to 8pm. We will meet at the Abbey View Track, Westminster Lodge, St Albans AL1 2DL, at the start of the sessions.
The course is for any runners already running at least 5k (to enable us to group effectively we do recommend that your 5k can be completed in 35 minutes). If you are interested in joining the club but apprehensive about 'turning up', would like to improve your running, or simply want to run in a sociable environment and make friends this course is perfect for you.
200 people have already joined St Albans Striders through previous courses, (last years' graduates are in the photo above) and our groups have varied from people who have just run their first 5k through to those who have been running for a long time. We cater for slower and speedy runners as we split into smaller groups accordingly.
• 2 x 1 hour evening sessions per week (Tuesdays & Thursdays 7-8pm)
• Friendly Striders members volunteer to accompany your runs
• Runs around the beautiful Verulamium Park and surrounding area
• Progress at your own pace until you feel OK to try a run with our existing Striders groups
• Training on warm-ups, cool-downs and stretching
For your own benefit, try to come along to all of the sessions. Lots of us struggle to leave work on time, find childcare or battle with delayed trains! Having said that, it’s much easier to get to training if you put those sessions in your calendar now and let people know you have a commitment on those nights. You will receive an email before the course starts providing information on where to meet etc.
• Running trainers
• Comfortable running clothes
• Water for during and after the session
In order to register please set up an account with St Albans Striders using the link below or select Join now on the website.
Fill in you details and select the Run With Striders membership option. Please do not choose the any other membership option, as this will automatically be included in your £42 joining fee.
You will be asked to complete a short profile. This is so we know a little about you, and can tailor the sessions appropriately.
You will need to tell us how long it takes you to run 5k. If you don’t know your 5k time it would be helpful if you could time yourself around a route that you know to be 5k.
We are unable to accommodate people turning up without registering as we won't have enough run leaders to offer safe sessions.
If you have queries or difficulties signing up, please contact : Andynormile@hotmail.com
Please find further instructions on how to sign up below:
Run With Striders Instructions